Tuesday 11 March 2014

WMS - To Die For


I'm joining in with the Waltzingmouse Stamps Pajama Party for the first time - I finally managed to get things in order to get something made on the right day!

Challenge 1 is "To Die For" - Waltzingmouse has recently added their own Cutting Edge dies alongside the stamps and Claire's challenged us to use them in our creations.

I ended up doing something out of my comfort zone and probably not "typical" of WMS style! I actually intended to make something Christmassy with the lovely Bright Season Lantern die but of course I got distracted along the way - when cutting the lantern from kraft cardstock to use as a template, I noticed the "waste" from the centre of the lantern looked like an elegant vase or plant pot and that set me off in a totally different direction!

I've used a piece of paper that had been used to clean a painty brayer as my background with just a little doodling for a border and some splodgy white dots added through a stencil with a Posca pen (smeared while still wet) at top left.

I cut the top off a second "pot" with some pinking shears and added that as an extra detail, inking all the edges for a bit of depth. The "flower" is a heart cut with the smallest die from the "My Heart" set and coloured with Copic markers. I stamped leaves from Funky Flowers with acrylic paint for a splodgy look, cut them out and added them and a wire stem. Pot, heart and leaves are all stuck on with Pinflair glue gel for some dimension.

The sentiment is all from the Say It Loud set, snipped into individual words and finished with a little more doodling.

If you fancy playing along, you can upload entries for the Pajama Party until midnight tonight and there's a sketch challenge to play with for the rest of the week too - details here.

Supplies:
My Heart and Bright Season Lantern dies (Waltzingmouse Stamps)
Say It Loud and Funky Flowers stamp sets  (Waltzingmouse Stamps)
Acrylic paints
Brilliance Graphite Black ink
Distress Vintage Photo ink
Copic markers
Copic fineliner
Posca white pen
Sequin waste mask (Tando Creative)
Pinking shears
Florist wire 
Pinflair glue gel

Thanks for stopping by!


9 comments:

The Hardy Stamper said...

This is lovely Joanne and a very ingenious use of the lantern die too!

Edna Morrisedie said...

Very artsy!

Julia Aston said...

How very creative to use the cut out piece of the lantern for a pretty vase holding your wonderful red heart! A lovely 'sureal' kind of design!

Jeanne J. said...

That distressed background looks wonderful - it makes the images really pop - that bright red heart and sweet sentiment!

LaurieJ said...

Your little vase is so very clever! Don't you love it when you discover things like that?! Your card is fantastic - a really cool work of art.

Anonymous said...

So you have confirmed that you can get more from dies than what it says on the tin!! Lovely card and like all the added extras :)
Lynn x

Deborah Frings said...

What a good idea! I really like your heart plant and sweet sentiment!

Karen said...

Gosh! this is really different for you isn't it? I really love this Joanne xxx

Kaz said...

Love this, it's such a different style for you xxx