Tuesday 12 February 2008

A shining example

OK, well I'm not sure that the card is a shining example of anything but that's the title of the challenge. For a while now, Tanda have had a weekly card making challenge on the forum but they're just starting to open it up by making it a blog challenge and this is the first theme.

My shining bits: acetate, gold lustre powder and a tiny gem (the sort sold for use on your finger nails!)



I stamped the lilies on acetate and then used watercolour pencils to colour the back of the sheet (the stuff designed for inkjet printers that has the slight 'tooth' on one side will take watercolour pencils OK). I also used a cheesecloth stamp and chalk ink to give a slightly 'crackled' effect. Then I covered the back with Versamark and brushed gold lustre powder over the whole surface.

The acetate panel is attached to a dark green matt with a square brad and I've added a tiny gem to the centre.

Here's a closer view of the flower heads so you can see how it all came together, you can click through for a better view:


Supplies: Calla Lilies from Long Stemmed set by Stampin' Up!, cheesecloth and rice paper backgrounders by Cornish Heritage Farms, Stazon Jet Black, Clearsnap chalk ink Chestnut Roan and Warm Green, Tim Holtz distress ink Peeled Paint, Versamark, acetate sheet, watercolour pencils, gold lustre powder, square antique brass brad, nailart gem.


The Tanda Teaser will usually appear on Wednesdays so keep an eye out if you fancy joining in with the challenge.

Thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Wendy - Anntaurus said...

This is gorgeous Joanne a fabulous example of shiny! Great to see how you made it too. Thanks for joining in with the first challenge!

Janice said...

Oh I love Tanda stamps, I see they have updated their website, but I haven't been to look yet. That is a lovely card Joanne, it would make a great 'thinking of you' or sympathy card.

Janice

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

A really beautiful card Joanne!

Di said...

Gorgeous Joanne. I have some of those acetate sheets with the tooth on one......thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to have a play.

Truly Jewellery said...

Beautiful card, love that wonderful textured effect with the cheesecloth stamp.

Sheila said...

This is stunning....and so elegant.
Thank you for taking part in our first challenge.

Leigh said...

stunning card Joanne.

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful. :)
Vanessa.

Hazel said...

Absolutely beautiful - love the lilies!

Anonymous said...

Stunningly beautiful card, excellent work :-)

Etha said...

I love your white lilies, soooo pretty! what a great idea to use watercolor pencils on the acetate, will have to try that.
I gave you the excellent blogger award. see the details here

Unknown said...

Beautifully elegant card Joanne.

Love the method used too. I might have to have a go at that technique myself.

Kristen said...

Gorgeous - I really need some CHF stamps... oh my willpower is weakening! LOL

Anonymous said...

This might just have to take the gold at the Cardmakers' Olympics. I've used that same stamp at least a hundred times and none of my tries would even get a bronze. Magic happens in YOUR hands, that's for sure.